W-9 Forms

*****Disclaimer: This is not legal advice and is for educational purposes only. This does not create an attorney-client privilege.

A W-9 form is a Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification form from the Internal Revenues Board (IRS) that allows an individual or business to send their tax payer identification number to others. It is a very straight-forward and simple information form, only a page long. You can find a copy of a W-9 form that is ready to be filled out here

The W-9 form is a document that you would never have reason to send to the IRS itself. It is most commonly sent to someone so that they can send you back Form 1099, another IRS form which is needed for tax purposes in cases where someone paid you greater than $600. This form can allow your taxpayer identification number to be sent to individuals, clients, businesses, banks and other financial institutions.

This form is very straightforward, as its only purpose is to formally send only the information necessary to paying your taxes. You can send either your social security number or your employer identification number.

Essentially this form is useful in scenarios where someone or some entity is responsible for filing the information return regarding yourself to the IRS. This form can be used in variety of cases including; income paid to you, contributions you made to an IRA, real estate transactions, mortgage interest you paid, cancellation of debt, or an acquisition or abandonment of secured property.

Some of the more specific, common situations wherein you would need this form include the following. One common reason would be that banks sometimes ask for them when opening a new account. Another reason could be that a bank or financial institution you are investing with might need it in order to submit other 1099 form types necessary to account for interest income, proceeds from real estate transactions, etc. Another very common reason would be if you are hired as an independent contractor and will be paid more than $600 by a given client in one year. Once submitted you can file the 1099-MISC form you will need to report for taxes.

Some of the other necessary entries on the form include your full legal name, as shown on your federal tax income returns. You then select your tax classification from a list of options that includes the most common choice of Individual/sole proprietor or single-member LLC, C Corporation, S Corporation, Partnership, Trust/estate, or a Limited Liability company. You will also include your address, and finally your signature and the date. It is very straight-forward!

Sources: (image)

Free Educational Material

Decades of Experience Helping With These Legal Matters

Drug Crimes
Sexual Harassment
And More
san gabriel divorce attorney
And More
Rental Properties
And More

About Our San Gabriel Law Firm

Read Our San Gabriel Law Firm's Reviews

Kevan G.

"If you need to save your home for any reason, "Rodriguez Law Group" is the one to call."

Karen M.

"After our initial experience and assistance ended five years ago with Patricia Rodriguez, a very important document was needed for a loan. She provided the verification and letter as quickly as possible amid the COVID crisis restrictions. J & K Morris"


"Ms. Rodriguez treated me with respect and no condescension. I trust her judgment and advices."


"Teamwork combined with knowledge and skill defines this law group. Results oriented strategy produces results while keeping the client’s best interest the goal. I give them 5 stars."


7220 North Rosemead Blvd. Suite 133 

San Gabriel, CA 91775

Who We Help:

Criminal Defense • Civil Defense • Custody • Divorce (CCCD)


We handle cases throughout Southern California, including San Gabriel, West Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Westlake, Santa Barbara, and their surrounding areas.